UN statistics tell us that one in three women will be raped or beaten in her lifetime. That's over ONE BILLION people on the planet.
On February 14, 2013, V-Day led a global action called ONE BILLION RISING, calling upon women and the men who love us to STRIKE DANCE RISE. Over ONE BILLION people in over 200 countries rose in a commitment to ending violence against women & girls. We danced as a form of protest - as a way to reclaim our bodies, our space, and our spirits. We marched. We passed legislation. We prayed. We spoke out.
In the Los Angeles area and throughout Southern California, people rose in different ways, including:
- In Hollywood, religious leaders of many faiths led an ecumenical service in memory of women & girls who endured abuse.
- In West Hollywood, we shut down an intersection to dance and rally in the streets with actresses & activists.
- In Pershing Square, we danced and spoke out against street harassment.
- In Venice, we took to the streets with a march & flashmobs.
- In Newport Beach, we gathered in a drum circle on the beach at sunset.
- In Nokia Plaza at LA Live, we demonstrated with political, community & entertainment leaders and Zumba'ed with instructors from all over the world.
On February 14, 2014, we are RISING FOR JUSTICE. What does JUSTICE look like in your community?
FLASH MOB AMERICA is a partner with ONE BILLION RISING - LOS ANGELES
We're so thrilled to once again partner with Flash Mob America as we RISE for JUSTICE!
For more information please go to: www.FlashMobAmerica.com